Lotto Sports May Highlights - Big Wins & Feats of Excellence
- by Lotto Sport
- June 23, 2023
- 3 min read
May… What a month for sports!
This past month included some big wins in all of our big three sports: Tennis, soccer, and padel. As a bonus: We’ve also included some exciting news on the cycling front (from a team who looks to us for their footwear)!
Strap in—here’s what happened in sports in the month of May.
Hunter and Mertens Take Home Doubles Gold
Amazing success for Storm Hunter and Elise Mertens!
The Lotto couple won the doubles title at the Internazionali d'Italia in Rome, beating the number one seed Pegula-Gauff in the final with a double 6-4.
Thanks to this triumph, Storm and Elise move up to respectively fifth and sixth place in the women's doubles ranking!
Great to see their paired outfit triumphing on the red clay of the Foro Italico!
More Incredible Tournament Performances from Lotto Athletes
The month of May saw some truly inspiring tennis performances from many Lotto athletes. Here are a few examples:
- Lukas Neumayer wins the ITF M25 in Prague after defeating Henri Squire with sets of 6-2 and 6-3 in the finals.
- Dmitry Popko won the ITF M25 in Pensacola, last conquering Aidan Kim with sets of 6-1 and 6-4 in the finals.
- Storm Hunter won the doubles title at the WTA 125 in Reus, Spain. Storm, together with her partner Ellen Perez, beat the pair of Guarachi and Routliffe with sets of 6-1 and 7-6 in the finals.
- Darja Seministaja won the women's tournament trophy at the Prague Open by beating Jessica Bouzas in three sets in the finals.
- Francisco Comesaña won the doubles title with teammate Thiago Seyboth Wild against the Argentinean pair of Casanova and Rodriguez Taverna in three sets: 6-3, 6-7, 10-6.
- Lucrezia Stefanini won the ITF W40+H in Calvi, France. She last defeated Britain's Heather Watson with sets of 6-2, 3-6, and 6-3 in the finals, winning her ninth career title two weeks after her victory in Sharm el-Sheikh.
- Yankı Erel won the title at the ITF Indonesia F5 Futures 25K in Jakarta. He defeated Brandon Walkin in the final with sets of 6-3 and 6-0.
Victory for AC Monza!
With a score of 2-0, AC Monza stole a victory from Spezia.
This win allows the Brianza team to reach Serie A with six games to spare—a result that sets a prestigious record: since the Serie A has had 20 teams (2004-05 season), no team has managed to reach Serie A with six games to spare.
We also want to shout out Monza coach Raffaele Palladino, who was nominated Coach of the Month for April.
Cheddira… We Are Not Worthy!
Walid Cheddire of Bari and Solista 100 Gravity continues to dazzle: He scored his 17th league goal, confirming his place among the top scorers in Serie B.
More Triumphant Soccer Performances
Lotto athletes put on a show in the month of May with fantastic soccer performances. Here are some of those:
- In the French Ligue 2, DFCO got a fundamental victory beating Sochaux 2-0, taking an important step towards salvation.
- In the Spanish Primera Federaciòn, Racing Ferrol won 1-0 against Linense and moved four points clear of first place with a game to spare.
- In the Malaysian Super League, Kedah FC won 2-1 against Negeri Sembilan, and Sabah FC beat Selangor with the same result.
Gaspar and Mena Finish Strong in Sweden
Victor Mena and playing partner Jose Carlos Gaspar won the FIP Rise Gävle tournament in Sweden. The pair confirmed their expectations by winning the title as the top seed, beating the duo Vera-Albornoz in the final by regaining the initial disadvantage (2-6, 6-4, 6-4).
This is the second title of the season for Victor!
A Historic Result for the EOLO-KOMETA Cycling Team!
EOLO-KOMETA, a professional Italian cycling team, won the seventh stage of the Giro D'Italia! As their official supplier of footwear, we couldn’t be more proud.
Italian rider Mattia Bais crossed the finish line in Campo Imperatore first after a breakaway that lasted more than 200 kilometers, achieving his first big success as a professional on the most important stage.
Stay Tuned for More Exciting News
Sports news is constantly updating—and we love to celebrate the wins!
If you love these blogs, then you’ll want to subscribe to our newsletter. From soccer, tennis, padel, and any other sport, we’ll send the updates straight to your inbox so you don’t have to scour the web.
Subscribe to our newsletter today!