This Week in Sports - Success For Lotto Athletes!
- by Lotto Sport
- September 22, 2023
- 3 min read
Wow… What a week!
We couldn’t be more proud of our athletes — from tennis to waterskiing, there was no shortage of success at the highest level.
Ready to get caught up?
Here’s what’s been going on this week in Lotto sports!
WTA Glory in San Diego and Osaka
Two big wins on opposite sides of the world!
Czech tennis star Katerina Siniakova won the doubles title at the WTA 500 in San Diego, USA. Katerina, along with her partner Barbora Krejcikova, defeated CoCo Vandeweghe and Danielle Collins in the finals with sets of 6-4 and 6-1.
Anna-Lena Friedsam also took home gold. Together with her partner, Nadiia Kichenok, the pair conquered the doubles title at the WTA 250 in Osaka, Japan. They beat the pair of Kalinskaya and Putinceva with sets of 7-6 and 6-3 in the final.
Davis Cup Results
This Davis Cup took place this past week — with so many Lotto athletes participating, we wanted to highlight the best of the best:
- Alejandro Tabilo
- Marcelo Barrios Vera
- Borna Gojo
- Laslo Djere
- Austin Krajicek
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles
Congratulations to all of our talented athletes!
More Tennis Triumph
We had some other victories and feats of excellence in tennis, too!
Here are some of those results:
- Spanish tennis phenom Marina Bassols Ribera took home the gold at the WTA 125 in Ljubljana, Slovenia. She last defeated Zeynep Sonmez in two sets in the finals.
- Benjamin Bonzi was the runner-up at the ATP Challenger 100 in Rennes, France. He was unfortunately forced to withdraw from the finals due to an injury.
- Francisco Comesaña also finished as a runner-up at the ATP Challenger 75 in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. Comesaña was stopped just short of the title by Mariano Navone.
Lotto On the Women’s National Teams!
Great news for the women’s national teams: Eight Lotto athletes have been called by their respective national teams for Uefa Nations League commitments!
- Roberta Aprile (Solista 100 Gravity), Rachele Baldi (Maestro 100) and Aurora Galli (Solista 200) for Italy.
- Sofia Kongouli (Solista 100 Gravity), Tatiana Georgiou (Solista 100 Gravity) and Eleni Kakampouki (Maestro 100) for Greece.
- Diede Lemey (Solista 100 Gravity) for Belgium.
Best of luck — we couldn’t be more proud of these incredible athletes!
More Excellence From Lotto Teams
Let’s look at some more amazing results from Lotto teams:
- Monza tied Lecce in the fourth round of Serie A. The Lotto team managed to come back from an initial disadvantage, with the final score at 1-1. The Brianza team will next face Lazio, with the match scheduled for Saturday, September 23rd.
- In the Paraguayan Divisiòn Profesional, Resistencia beat Sportivo Ameliano with a score of 2-1 to move up to second place in the standings.
- In the Israeli first division, Maccabi Netanya won the Lotto matchup against Hapoel Petach Tikva with a score of 4-1.
Victory at the Malibu Open 2023!
Thomas Degasperi confirmed his place at the top of the water-skiing world by winning the Malibu Open 2023, held over the weekend in Lymanland, Alabama.
Yet another demonstration of excellence in an extraordinary career for the skier — he has already won 10 European championships in the slalom category!
Never Miss Out on Important Sports News!
Looking to stay in the know with sports news?
We know that things move fast. If you’re struggling to keep up, don’t worry—Lotto Sport can help. Our newsletter gets sent straight to your inbox with all of the latest and greatest in the world of sports. No more digging for stories again.
Subscribe to our newsletter today to keep current with your favorite sports.